Thursday, February 08, 2007

Singing Along With the Radio

I'm working on a project at work that requires all my attention with no interruption. To help deter those who would violate my cube fortifications, I've brought in some headphones and have downloaded some CDs to iTunes. This should make me look sufficiently unapproachable. However, I have discovered a flaw in my plan for utter seclusion at the office. I downloaded Bowling for Soup's newest album called The Great Burrito Extortion Case and I can't help but tap my feet and nod my head like I agree with everything everyone is saying around me. I am literally having the bite my tongue in order to keep from singing along. So, instead of looking busy and in deep concentration, I look like I'm having my own little party in my head. It really defeats the affect I was going for and I'm positive my co-workers are giggling at my antics by the coffee pot. My only hope is that maybe they think I've contracted a rare complicated medical condition that causes me to spasm uncontrollably and bite my lip until it nearly bleeds, but I admit the possibility of that is slim.

You must know by now that I love to sing along with the radio when alone in my car (and sometimes to the complete mortification of CT). Oh, I'm no American Idol, but I bop along at the stop light with no regard for who might be watching. I'm not usually what I would all a music lover. My car radio is usually tuned to public radio (MPR), but occasionally on Fridays, I need to loosen up a little. So, I turn the radio so loud that I know I'm breaking some noise pollution law, and I sing at the top of my lungs. CT calls it "Mom's Rock Out Time" and despite my awful screeching along, he does seem to enjoy those afternoons on the way home from school.

I encourage everyone to sing along with the radio once in a while. It's very liberating to let yourself go like that. However, I caution that singing along it work is not advisable if you would like to convey a professional, hard-worker personality. I think it's too late for me to be viewed serious and competent, so I'm going to crank up the volume and tap on the desk while humming along until my cube neighbors start launching complaints. Of course, I'll be too completely absorbed in my work to notice the grievances.

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , Turbo Tagger

No comments: