Saturday, April 23, 2011

Brace Yourself

It's a teenage rite of passage...at least it was for me. On Thursday, CT got his new braces.But I'm having a hard time with this particular puberty ritual. It's not just that it costs $6000 and our dental insurance doesn't pay a dime (By the way, is there anyone else outraged that insurance companies don't have to cover orthodontics when 90% of kids need them?). It just one more visible sign that he's not my baby boy anymore. I was relieved when he was out of diapers and thrilled when he outgrew temper tantrums in Wal-Mart, but what I wouldn't give for just one more day of sweet naps on my shoulder or a little hand grasping my finger!

He's already taller than me, his voice has changed and he swears he found an armpit hair last week.With braces, it's official. After we finish paying those suckers off, he won't need me anymore. Well, by the time we finish paying them off, he'll be changing our diapers! The point is, that he's growing up so fast and this is just one more reminder that he's a man now. But you have to admit, the braces are absolutely adorable on the kid!

Before


After

2 comments:

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie said...

In Punta Gorda, they refer to the change of a child into puberty, especially when rebelliousness shows itself or when the kid now wants to be considered an adult, as "his armpits stink now".