Saturday, March 08, 2014

We're different, but the same

Yesterday afternoon, my Honduran friend, Gaby, took me to a market near our apartment to shop for fruits and vegetables. It was a completely different experience than the supermarket I visited last week! And it's times like these that it really hits me that, despite the McDonald's and Wal-Mart in the city, we're living a culture very different from our own.

Gaby had hired a taxi to take us to the market and, apparently, she knows him quite well because the engaged in a lengthy conversation along the way. And what did they talk about you ask? Never-ending road construction and traffic jams, of course! We may be in a very different culture, but as I listened to Gaby and her friend chat, I was also reminded that we are all the same. We all want to find the best deal on tomatoes. We all complain about the traffic. We all want better for our children than we had. And we all need the hope that comes from a personal relationship with our merciful Heavenly Father. It's that similarity that has brought us on this journey and God continues to implant it in my heart.

No comments: