Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Walk for PKD

I forgot to update y'all on the Walk for PKD I participated in on Saturday. For those who didn't know, my good friend, Nathan, is battling PKD (a genetic kidney disorder). I participated in a walk on his behalf to raise money for the PKD Foundation. I didn't raise as much as I had wanted, but I did manage to give $100 to the foundation. That money and the money raised by the other walkers will help fund research into a cure for PKD. If you didn't get time to donate to my fund drive, you can still donate to the PKD Foundation at www.pkdcure.org. To learn more about Nathan and for updates on his search for a kidney donor, you can visit his blog (see the link to the right). There's a link on his blog for donations to help pay for his medical expenses. I highly encourage you to do this if you are able. I was shocked to learn how expensive medical care for this disease is. Nathan is an amazing person and a great friend. He is most deserving of our support when he needs it.

Now, back to the walk. It was cold, wet and rainy. PK and CT went with me to support me, but we didn't stay too long. It was not a good day for a walk around the lake. We did visit all the PKD-related booths and tables though. CT was very interested in the trailer set up to display information on organ donations and how the system works. It was good to see him thinking about others in need. He is one of the most compassionate people I've ever met and it really affects him to see the needs of others--even complete strangers. I'm very proud of him.

No comments: