Thursday, March 08, 2007

Tour de Cure--It's French Y'all

I only speak a little French, but I'm pretty certain that "Tour de Cure" is French for "Insanely Long Bike Ride". I usually avoid all physical activity that might be considered "exercise". Afterall, I have a car....why would I even own a bike? OK, confession time, I actually didn't even learn to ride a bike until I was adult....and a parent. In fact, PK taught insisted that I learn when we first got married and I was still in that phase of a marriage where you actually care about what your spouse thinks. So I made myself look like an idiot at a southern California beach as a wobbled down the sidewalk screaming for PK not to let go of the seat. I even asked for training wheels, which PK wisely denied.

Despite my obvious hatred of all things healthy, I've decided that this is something I should do. Tour de Cure is a benefit bike ride for the American Diabetes Association, which researches prevention and cure methods for diabetes. For those who don't know, Mom has been living with diabetes for almost 20 years. Over the years I've watched her give herself shots every day...multiple times. She gets tired and worn out easily and has to watch her chocolate-intake (if that doesn't make you feel sympathy for her plight, I don't know what will). Anyway, she never complains and she never feels sorry for herself. She just does what she has to do. I've never told her how proud I am of her. I have a hard time watching her live with the disease. I definitely don't think that I could be so gracious in her situation. She's an amazing, beautiful person and she's my best friend. So, I've decided that if she can stick herself in the stomach with a needle 2 or 3 times every day for the rest of her life, then surely I can ride 25 miles on a bicycle to raise money for research that could cure her someday....at least I hope I can ride 25 miles.

PK is also participating and just one-up me, he'll be making the 50 mile ride. We've set a goal to raise $150 each (for a total donation of $300). Not that it's a competition, but I sure would love y'all to help me reach my goal before he does. See this previous post to better understand the "non-competitive" nature of our marriage. So, in the interest of preserving the delicate balance of our relationship (and also in the interest of helping the cause), I hope you'll consider making a donation on my behalf. Click the icon below to get to my donation site and thanks!







Technorati Tags:
, , , , ,

No comments: