Sunday, July 13, 2014

Now what?

We've been preparing for this moment for years. We've dreamed about it. Our entire lives have been focused around this single purpose for so long that it's hard to remember what we thought about before. And now it's finally here. We're home—at El Sembrador.

Wow. It hardly seems real, but here we are. The bags are unpacked and the house is ready. Tomorrow a new week and a new life begins here. I'm excited. But I'm also anxious and yes, a little scared. Actually, more like terrified.

A million questions kept me awake last night. What if I don't fit in? What if the students don't like me? What if it isn't as great as I remember? What if my Spanish isn't as good as it needs to be? What if the expectations my co-workers have of me are too high and I let them down? What if I do more harm than good? What if I'm not really needed? How am I going to remember all these new names?!? AGHHHHH!!!!!

But tonight, I think I'm going to sleep like a baby. Because I've decided that there's only one question that really matters. And it's scary. But I'm feeling pretty brave. So here goes: Lord, now what?

No comments: